Thursday, December 13, 2012

The History and Why I'm Writing This


Adventures in Dirt Biking
(or, The 40 Year Old Dirt Bike Virgin)

Yes, I am 40; and, yes, I am a dirt bike "virgin."  This is an ongoing chronicle of my adventures in dirt biking as I am anticipating that this new pursuit will do one of two things:  kill me, or make me stronger.  I'm hoping for the latter!

The History and Why I'm Writing This:  I've been riding street for about 5 years now; started out completely from scratch - I didn't even have previous manual transmission car experience let alone two-wheel experience.  A few years in I tried the track and had a great experience until I made a stupid mistake and grabbed a handful of front brake in the grass (I should have known even as a street rider that this wasn't good to do, but I do feel I might not have done it if I had prior off-road experience).  I had heard a number of friends and acquaintances mention that they had started on dirt bikes before moving to street bikes and have felt more comfortable as a result.  Plus, being outdoors and being active appeals to me.  With all of these considerations in mind, I decided I'd like to try dirt biking, specifically trail riding.  Skip forward a couple years to now and I'm finally putting this into action!

I'm at a point in my life that if I don't do it now, I might not do it.  Plus I have the time to do this and the funds to make it happen.  The one thing I'm concerned about is the physical toll.  I've never been one to work-out or go to a gym; I've always relied on natural movements and activities to keep me active.  It's amazing how many of those disappear once you start working from home; so over the past few years I've lost a significant amount of energy and stamina.  So, as with many others that post on facebook or write a blog to keep them on track with diet or exercise efforts, I've decided to take a similar tack to keep me on track when I'm feeling frustrated.

So that, in a nutshell, is how this thread has come to be.  I hope you'll enjoy reading about my start, my frustrations, my victories, and my adventures.  Feel free to ask questions, add comments, advice, and stories of your own.  This is an ongoing story and I hope it will be an ongoing dialogue with you too!

No comments:

Post a Comment